28 Nov How Does Airbnb Pay You and How Long Does It Take to Get Paid?
Every week, my readers send me lots of questions, so in this post, I will cover one of the more common questions: how does Airbnb pay you?
Let’s dig in.
I am making a big assumption here: you have already created a host profile and have entered your direct deposit payment information. Well, if you have not already, then I’d suggest checking out this detailed step-by-step guide on creating your perfect profile on Airbnb.
Managing Payout Methods
- Go to Airbnb.com and log into your account
- Click on your profile picture on the top right corner and then go to Account Settings
It should take you to this page below.
Then you would click on Payment Preferences on the left like the below picture:
Below are a few quick tips on the available payout methods.
I would highly recommend ACH/Direct deposit because that is the fastest way to get paid!
- ACH/Direct deposit: Use information from a check to enter your ACH/direct deposit routing number and account number. For Further Credit accounts (FFC) are not supported. Wait for a small deposit to confirm your account is ready.
- International wire: Depending on your location, you’ll need to enter your account number or IBAN, which your bank can provide. Fees may apply. Read more about international wire transfers.
- Payoneer Bank transfer/debit card: Enter your name as it appears on your official ID. Payoneer needs to approve your details before you can receive payouts. Read more about Payoneer.
- PayPal: Make sure that your account, which is an email address, is activated on PayPal before adding it as a payout method. Read more about PayPal.
- Western Union: Enter your name as it appears on your official ID. Fees apply. Read more about Western Union.
- AIS debit card: This payout method is only available in Cuba. Enter your name exactly as it appears on your AIS card. Read more about AIS
How Long Does It Take to Get Paid?
Are you a new host? Airbnb may decide to hold your payouts for 30 days after your first reservation is confirmed.
Side note: if you’re a new Airbnb host then you should check out our beginner hosting guide. You can grab it here for free!
As an experienced host, Airbnb will typically release your payout in 24 hours. And another 3-5 days for the funds to hit your bank account depending on your payout method.
Again, it’s critical to have direct deposit set up because there is not going to be a delay! I usually get my money in 2 business days except for the weekends.
Why I think Direct Deposit is the Only Option?
First, it’s one of the fastest option other than PayPal or WesternUnion. Also, direct deposit charges you no fees whereas PayPal charges a fee for each transaction. The fee for PayPal is 2.9% plus $0.30 USD of the amount you receive.
Airbnb takes takes another 3-5%, so you’re out at least 5.9% for each reservation! That number adds up when you have hundreds of reservations… trust me, not the way to go.
And what about Western Union? Let’s not even go there because they charge way more… In case you are curious, here is the processing time for each of the payment methods:
- ACH / Direct deposit: Up to 3 business days
- Bank transfer or international wire: 3–7 business days
- PayPal: Within 1 business day
- Western Union: 1 business day (US Pacific Time)
- Payoneer Prepaid Debit Card: Within 1 business day
Interest in learning how to build your rental arbitrage empire? You can subscribe to my blog and learn tips and insights on my process of creating a profitable 6-figure passive income business using other people’s home. I write on the regular and offer free tips and insights.