What’s the Scoop on Airbnb Plus?
Hearing some murmuring rumors through the grapevine? Airbnb Plus is one of the company’s newest features that is grabbing the attention of hosts everywhere.
An Airbnb partner dedicates time to visit every Airbnb Plus verified home. Can you imagine the time it takes to ensure that level of quality?
Hosts everywhere are trying to grab onto the Airbnb Plus opportunity. But, what exactly is it?
More importantly, can your Airbnb listing make the cut?
What Is Airbnb Plus?
In February of 2018, Airbnb unrolled a new service that they claimed would dramatically enhance a guests travel experience. Calling the service Airbnb Plus, the company aims to ensure that hosts offer all of the same amenities of home- and more.
In Layman’s terms, Airbnb Plus is for high-end Airbnb rentals. This opportunity is currently available in 14 different cities including Austin, Barcelona, Cape Town, Chicago, Los Angeles, London, Melbourne, Milan, Montreal, Rome, San Francisco, Shanghai, Sydney, and Toronto. Currently, there are a little over 2,500 Airbnb Plus locations for guests to enjoy.
Furthermore, Airbnb has goals of expanding to 50 cities with over 75,000 homes by the end of the year! Can you imagine a time where Airbnb Plus locations outgrow the number of hotels? The future is now.
(Check out this article if you want to know where I think Airbnb Plus will ultimately go)
How Can I Qualify as an Airbnb Plus Home?
To meet Airbnb’s standards, the host must completely satisfy a 100-point checklist. While the number may seem overwhelming, some of these tasks are simple to achieve.
However, the exact list of requirements is hidden from public view. This is what makes gaining the status of Airbnb Plus challenging. Here is a short collection of some of the publicly available Airbnb Plus conditions.
- Strong water pressure with hot and cold water.
- Walls are free of stains, crack, and buckling.
- Reliable Wifi is available for guests.
- A neutral or pleasant scent fills every room.
- Carpets aren’t stained or too warn.
- Doors close properly with locks.
Seems like some basic living requirements, right? But honestly, you would be surprised what’s currently listed out there. If you think your home hits every mark, and you’re in a city that presently supports Airbnb ten you’re in a great spot.
You can apply to be in the Airbnb Plus program here. Although, it’s good to be aware that you need to dish out a one-time $149 application fee in order to apply. Additionally, a host needs to have at least:
- One accepted stay
- An average rating of 4.8+ stars
- 95% Reservation acceptions
- No last minute cancelations.
What Are The Four Main Aspects That Your Home Needs?
There are four main categories that Airbnb wants your listing to encapsulate. They want homes that are thoughtfully designed, comfortable, well equipped, and maintained. But what does this mean?
As far as design goes, Airbnb Plus homes have a cohesive interior that showcases a variety of personal touches. The company is searching for homes that have the furniture arranged and now thrown haphazardly about or cluttered. Open spaces and artwork that reflect the area or the host are great unique touches to add. Another small detail to look into is hiding any extra wires or cables from appliances and electronics. This can be easily done with panels, furniture, and simply tucked and tied away.
Summary: Your home needs to be accessible for guests to use while featuring a personal touch.
When it comes to comfort, Airbnb is looking for a home that has an easy check-in, elevated beds, two pillows per guests, empty hangers, and private rooms. A home away from home is all about the luxury that one misses when they’re away. Sometimes, it’s also an opportunity for guests to treat themselves to a luxury that they don’t get to enjoy on a daily basis. Regardless, it’s the small things that really make the difference when it comes to a comforting experience.
Summary: Your home needs to be private and accommodating.
With an equipped home, this pertains to listings that have fast Wi-Fi, a printed Airbnb Guidebook along with other house manuals, entertainment systems, and amenities like filtered water. When push comes to shove, it all comes down to providing excellent customer service.
Summary: Your home needs to be a safe, secure, and able to handle different guest situations.
To have a maintained location, you need outdoor areas that are free of neglect, a clean house entrance, doors that lock, lights that work, and no signs of pests. Pretty much what it says on the tin.
Summary: Your home needs to function as a living space.
What Are the Perks of Being An Airbnb Plus Host?
Airbnb statistics show that 73% of Airbnb travelers say that they’re willing to pay more for a home that is verified for quality and comfort. This averages about to $250 dollars a night. You may think,
“But Sam! If the prices are that high, why not just stay at a hotel?”
- Airbnb’s Offer A Unique Experience: Each and every Airbnb has a story, they’re all unique spaces. Hotels only offer cookie-cutter designs that are available worldwide. Airbnb has the opportunity to incorporate the location and culture around it.
- Airbnb’s Offer Privacy: How many times have you been on a business trip or a relaxing vacation only to have loud and noisy neighbors or kids that run around the hallway upstairs? Airbnb often has it’s own personalized space for guests to stay that offer comfort and a quality night of rest.
So, with that out of the way, why is it essential to stand out as an Airbnb Plus Host?
- An Airbnb Plus listing page will include an Airbnb PLUS badge. This helps to build up a positive reputation and trust with guests.
- Airbnb provides for elevated listing placement and increased visibility in search results. The company is pretty much assisting you in advertising and getting more views!
- Airbnb has an exclusive listing page dedicated and designed for Airbnb Plus hosts. This is perfect for guests who have already committed time and budgeted money for a high-quality experience.
- The Airbnb page mentions that there will be updated photography to highlight your home’s features. If I had to guess, this means that Airbnb is helping to hire and dish out some photo work for your listing. Furthermore, an immersive photo home tour is used to assist your prospective guests in visualizing the space.
Think Your Home Is Airbnb Plus Worthy?
If you think your home goes above and beyond and you’re in a participating city, perhaps it’s time to consider making your home an Airbnb Plus location.
Not ready for that step just yet? That’s okay too!
If you’re still trying to make your way up to superhost status, check out my Ultimate Superhost Checklist.