16 Apr What is 420 Friendly Mean When It Comes to Airbnb?
How to Find a 420 Friendly Airbnb
Where Is It Legal to Smoke Pot in an Airbnb?
Airbnb has a lack of policy on cannabis. Because of this, the choice of being weed-friendly often depends on the legality of the location and the host.
At the time of writing this post, nine states and Washington D.C have legalized the drug for recreational use. This involves a no strings attached process for adults over the legal age of 21. Medicinal marijuana is authorized for use in another 29 states with approval from a certified doctor.
This is only the statistics for the United States! The legality of cannabis varies from country to country, although illegal in most.
As of 2018, countries with the most relaxed laws besides the few jurisdictions in the United States are Australia, Uruguay, Mexico, India, Canada, Chile, Colombia, Costa Rica, the Czech Republic, Israel, Jamaica, the Netherlands, Portugal, South Africa, and Spain.
What Does Airbnb Have to Say About What Is 420 Friendly?
The silence from the company regarding the issue is mostly because they cannot create cannabis-friendly filters. Because the drug isn’t legal everywhere, they could come to the problem of hosts posting 420-friendly listings where it is not.
A representative from Airbnb has been quoted saying that they are not against cannabis. Because of changing laws they choose to have no policy against the use and consumption.
As a host, it’s your duty to add it to to the description whether your listing is 420-friendly or not. Doing so will not prompt Airbnb to remove it, as again, there is no policy. This can be a way to entice customers who are looking for this kind of location.
What Is 420 Friendly in Terms of Pros for Your Airbnb?
With the choice to become accepting of cannabis, there is undoubtedly a variety of pros and cons based on your perspective.
- Being 420-friendly allows you to tap into an underserved market. This is as long as the place of your listing has no legal problems with weed. Including it in your listing can help accommodate pot smokers.
- There isn’t an incredible amount of hosts looking to post themselves as 420-friendly. This is creating quite a demand for these types of locations in legal areas. Listing as such will definitely give you an edge over the competition.
- Munchies make money. Jokes aside, offering food at a 420-friendly location can allow you create more of a profit from the offer.
- If the host is a smoker that is sharing personal space, there’s no need to hide any marijuana paraphernalia. It allows users to be comfortable renting out their units who share the habit.
What Are the Cons of Being 420 Friendly?
Let’s be real, all types of smoking and drugs will have a possibility for adverse side-effects. If you’re willing to overlook a few of these cons, you’ll be able to create an open and accepting place.
- When opening your home to a guest who smokes anything, there are potential risks that come with it. Odor, soot, and even fire damage are all within the realm of possibility. Even with the last mentioned being more extreme, it’s better to be safe than sorry.
- If allowing guests to smoke, it’s not a bad idea to have safety precautions already set up in your listing space and pointing these items out to your clients. Air odorizers, fire extinguishers, updated smoke alarms, and a list of emergency numbers are always good to have on hand.
- Be aware of fabric damage. The smell of Mary Jane may stick to cushions, pillows, blankets, curtains, and any other types of fabric. If hoping to reduce the odor, request that your clients vape weed while in your home. Without the use of an open flame, it’s a safer and often less smell-invasive alternative.
- If not sticking to one form of marijuana consumption, take into consideration any cleaning costs necessary to remove the smell. While it may be a simple fix, some situations take more human resources to clean.
How Do You Find 420 Friendly Airbnb Units?
Without a definite way to search by using Airbnb’s filters, those who partake in the giggle smoke may have to get a little bit creative with their search terms. Here are the most common keywords to look for when trying to find a location that suits your needs.
- 420 Friendly
- Smoking Allowed
- Mary Jane
And other old-school types of euphemisms. Of course, this all works best when you’re searching for a location where smoking weed is legal.
While most hosts will post their allowance for the drug in their description, others will drop subtler hints. Anywhere from having a $420 price tag to subtle 420 number hints left in the pictures.
Again, I would like to stress to avoid doing such actions if the use of marijuana is legally prohibited at your current location.
How Can You Make Your Listing 420 Friendly?
For a host, it’s the little things in customer service that can make all the difference. Just like a hotel, the amenities and extra touches are what get a host a high review.
- Leaving 420-Friendly goodie boxes are a fun way to offer a little bit of hospitality to your guests. Some host will provide pipes, papers, bottled water, cookies, and granola bars. These are tiny and simple gestures that can go a long way.
- Another thing to consider is writing out a list of instructions for difficult amenities. The items in your house that may take a little bit extra brain power to figure out after partaking in cannabis. You know, like those shower heads that require you to pull out the knob while you twist?
Something that takes an effort to navigate while sober can turn into a nightmare while under the influence. Giving your visitors this info ahead of time will allow them to relax during their stay.
- While some guests may find time to just smoke and chill, others will want to know the hottest local spots for food, fun, and dispensaries. Providing a folder or binder with food menus and information about local places can save your visitors the headache of trying to find something fast.
Do You Want to Be 420-friendly?
In the end, it’s your choice on how you want to set the house rules. If you’re okay with your visitors smoking but don’t want to deal with the hassle of ruined linens, it’s as simple as making sure they keep their recreational activities outside.
While there is an opportunity for the niche market, there are plenty of pros and cons to consider. Do you think you would want to put in the necessary effort to be a 420-friendly Airbnb?
P.S. In case you need to remove odor, this is what I use.